A refreshing, naturally delicious beverage for people living with dysphagia
Hydra + Thickened Beverages have been specially formulated to meet the specific needs of people with swallowing problems. The smooth consistency ensures a safe and easy swallow, so you can live life to the fullest and remain well hydrated.
Select from a wide range of flavourful thickened juices, cocktails, Water- lemon and milk beverages!
Features and benefits
Delicious taste you can count on. Wide variety of refreshing and appealing fruit beverages made with Oasis® juices
Quality you can count on
Pre-thickened to industry consistency standards and ready to drink
More Lassonde promises you can count on:
What is dysphagia?
Dysphagia means “difficulty swallowing”. This means there is a problem at one or more of the stages of swallowing. As a result, food and/or drink do not move normally from your mouth to the stomach.
Dysphagia affects approximately 8%of the world’s population.
Dysphagia is a vastly underreported condition and is not widely understood by the general public
What causes dysphagia?
- Control and coordination of muscles used for swallowing can become weaker with age
Neurological problems, such as:
- Damage to the nervous system due to a stroke or diseases that affect the nerves such as Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis, cerebral palsy, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) and dementia
Obstruction of the mouth, throat or esophagus, due to:
- Cancer (affecting mouth, throat, larynx or esophagus)
- Immune problems
- Chemo/radiation therapy
- Gastro-esophageal reflux disease (GERD) – stomach acid splashing up into the esophagus can cause scar tissue to develop, narrowing your esophagus
- Infections causing inflammation of the mouth, throat and/or esophagus
Muscular conditions, such as:
- Hardening or of the skin and connective tissues (scleroderma); scleroderma can affect the digestive tract
- Muscles in the esophagus lose their ability to relax and open to allow food or liquid to properly move through the esophagus and enter the stomach (achalasia)
- These include antipsychotics (e.g., haloperidol, lanzapine) and anticholinergics (e.g., nitrazepam, lonazepam)
Choosing liquids and foods that are easier to swallow is an important part of managing dysphagia
Liquids can provide hydration and nutrition
- Adequate hydration is essential for sustaining life. The human body is composed of more than 60% water. Proper hydration can also help prevent constipation.
- Proper nutrition. Dysphagia can lead to unintentional weight loss and malnutrition. Liquids can provide calories and/or nutrition.
A texture-modified diet means the texture of solid foods and the consistency of liquids are chosen to better align with an individual’s swallowing ability. For some individuals with dysphagia, a healthcare professional will recommend thick liquids for safe swallowing.
Consult your healthcare specialist
For a better understanding of the management of dysphagia with hydra+
Where to get our products
Available at the following locations:
To make an order delivered to your home:
3241 Avenue Jean-Béraud
157 Rue St-Charles Ouest
355, Rue du Marais Local 130
3545 Rue Berri
For healthcare professionals
Where to order our products
For Healthcare professionals
To get more information and ordering details:
For foodservice managers
For more details about our distribution network, please visit:Lassonde Food Service Website